Accessibility Statement for the Harborough District Council Business Inward Investment website
Harborough District Council is committed to making this website accessible, inclusive and user friendly to the widest possible audience, regardless of disability, capability or technology, including users accessing our website with mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of our website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of our website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of our website using a screen reader
- read captions in videos we publish on YouTube
We have also made our website text as simple as possible to understand.
Useful help and guidance
AbilityNet provides guidance about how to:
- make your mouse easier to use
- use your keyboard instead of a mouse
- talk to your device
- make your device talk to you
- make text larger
- change your colours
- magnify the screen
How accessible our website is
We know some parts of our website are not fully accessible:
- the colour contrast for text on some parts of the site is not up to standard
What to do if you cannot access parts of our website
If you need information on our website in a different format, such as large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, please email email@example.com . Alternatively, telephone us on 01858 828282
Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of our website. If you find any problems that are not listed on this page or think we are not meeting the requirements of the accessibility regulations, please complete our form to let us know.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you are not happy with how we respond to your report, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about the accessibility of our website
Harborough District Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
The colour contrast for text on some parts of the site is not up to standard. For example, unselected items in the main left-hand menu.
We plan to make this colour contrast compliant with the accessibility regulations by September 2020. When we publish new content, we will make sure the colour contrast meets accessibility standards.
Fixing some issues may be a disproportionate burden (legislation.gov.uk) within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. This assessment is part of the annual audit of our website accessibility. Any disproportionate burden issues will be detailed here.
Content not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
Third party applications
We require that any new third party systems we commission for the website are Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 AA compliant. However, third party applications are partly or wholly out of our control and so may not conform to the same levels of accessibility as the rest of the website.
What we are doing to improve accessibility
Our work to improve accessibility of this website includes:
- Minimising the use of PDF and DOC downloads, replacing these downloads with online forms and accessible HTML pages wherever possible.
- Making sure new content is compliant with accessibility guidelines by assessing this website annually and when any major changes are made.
- Making sure all relevant descriptive data (metadata, labels, alt-text and descriptions) are compliant with accessibility guidelines by checking all new content.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 28 May 2020. It was last reviewed on 31 July 2020.
This website was last tested on 28 May 2020. The test was carried out by Harborough District Council.
Our website was tested in the following way:
- A selection of pages of all types available on our website was tested, including the home page.
- Pages were selected which contained text, links and media to ensure examples of all content available on the website was tested.
- Page navigation using a keyboard and screen reader was tested across all pages selected.